1. Van der Steenhoven advocaten N.V. ("Van der Steenhoven advocaten") is a public limited liability company incorporated with the object of practising as a firm of attorneys-at-law, in the widest sense of these words.
2. All instructions will be accepted and executed by Van der Steenhoven advocaten, even if it is the client's explicit or implicit desire for instructions to be executed by a specific person. Van der Steenhoven advocaten hereby rules out the applicability of sections 7:404 and 7:407(2) of the Netherlands Civil Code in this connection.
3. Van der Steenhoven advocaten's liability is limited to the sum paid out by its professional liability insurance in the event of a specific claim, plus any excess applicable for Van der Steenhoven advocaten in that case.
4. Van der Steenhoven advocaten will consult the client in advance, to the extent possible, when calling in third parties and will at any rate exercise the necessary due care when selecting such third parties. Van der Steenhoven advocaten is not liable for any default committed by such third parties. If any third parties called in by Van der Steenhoven advocaten restrict their liability when accepting any instructions, Van der Steenhoven advocaten will be authorised to accept that restriction of liability on the client's behalf to the extent necessary.
5. Instructions will be executed on the client's behalf only, and third parties can derive no rights from the substance of the services rendered by Van der Steenhoven advocaten (such as opinions).
6. If the client makes the services rendered by Van der Steenhoven advocaten available to any third party, it will be required vis-à-vis Van der Steenhoven advocaten to notify that third party that the services were rendered under the applicability of the present general terms and conditions ("the T&C"). If a third party makes use of these services in any manner, it will be bound by the contents of the present T&C.
7. The provisions in the present T&C are also being negotiated on behalf of any persons Van der Steenhoven advocaten may call in to execute the instructions.
8. When issuing instructions to Van der Steenhoven advocaten, the client accepts that Van der Steenhoven advocaten may review its fees and rates periodically, for example on the basis of any changes in prices and salaries.
9. The present T&C are also applicable to additional instructions and follow-on instructions issued by principals and legal entities issuing instructions to Van der Steenhoven advocaten and (jointly) controlled by the client.
10. The present T&C are available in Dutch, English, French, Italian and Polish. In the event of a dispute on the content or interpretation of the present T&C, the Dutch text will prevail.
11. Van der Steenhoven advocaten bills its clients monthly, allowing 14 days for payment. If the client's circumstances or the nature and extent of the services warrant this, Van der Steenhoven advocaten reserves the right to require an advance before rendering any (further) services. In the absence of payment within the period stipulated, the client will be in default without requiring any further notice of default, in which case it will forfeit interest on account of the delay at a rate of 1% of the outstanding principal sum per month, and for which purpose a part of a month will be deemed to be a whole month. In that event, the client will also be required to pay extra-judicial collection costs at a rate of 15% of the principal sum, plus interest on account of the delay. In the event of the non-payment or overdue payment of bills of fees, Van der Steenhoven advocaten will be authorised to suspend or discontinue its services, irrespective of whether these are connected with the case in progress and without prejudice to the client's obligation to settle any past or future bills of fees.
12. Agreements between the client and Van der Steenhoven advocaten are subject to the laws of the Netherlands. Instructions issued to Van der Steenhoven advocaten are subject to the complaints and disputes regulations for attorneys at law, (the Dutch text of) which can be consulted at: www.advocatenorde.nl. If the above regulations do not cover a dispute between a client and Van der Steenhoven advocaten, the court with jurisdiction in Amsterdam will be exclusively authorised to adjudicate, in the sense however that, in derogation of the above, Van der Steenhoven advocaten will be authorised to commence proceedings before the court with jurisdiction in the place where the client is located.
13. Van der Steenhoven advocaten has its registered offices in Amsterdam and is registered at the Commercial Registry kept by the Amsterdam Chamber of Commerce under number 34313169.
* * * *